Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lenten Journey Day 22...Hosea 14:9

I have enjoyed a fairly eclectic taste in music and musical styles...classical, folk, blues, country, rock, gospel, big band, etc... I cannot say that my family has always appreciated the varying musical styles imminating from the radio, cd player, or that I have hummed or sung by myself . My growing appreciation for Frank Sinatra has not been well received, though there was one song Clayton recognized from a television commercial that he at least tolerated as we made a recent trip in the car. I suppose he looks at me in those moments no differently than I look at him when he has control over the car radio.

"Ol Blue Eyes" had a hit several years ago that perhaps sums up our human perspective, entitled, "My Way." Now having read the lyrics to this song, I understand that it speaks reflectively of a life lived on his own terms where choices made have been his, regardless. That fits well with our American sense of self-confidence and self-direction. Some would say that is how this great nation was built..pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps, making our own way, charting our own course. There is, however, a down side to such individualism...we know it as sin.

In relationship to the Creator God, human independence often leads one in paths that selfishly claim that "my way" is better than God's. As the book of Hosea comes to a close in our text today, God reminds a rebellious, sinful people that His ways are right. Those with wisdom and discernment, or as Jesus said, "with ears to hear," will embrace a higher way, a different path that does not lean on human understanding, but trusts the living God. Thus God says,
"Who is wise? Let them realize these things. Who is discerning? Let them understand. The ways of the LORD are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them."

"Regrets, I've had a few..." but unlike the Sinatra song, these regrets, perhaps better known as sin, are not too few to mention. However, the grace of God empowers those who will walk in God's way. And so, let the record show that you and I walked in God's way.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment