Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lenten Journey Day 11...Psalm 139:23-24

Examination is the essence of the Lenten experience. Our journey to the cross reveals again and again our need in the context of God's grace. That is why the Psalmist's words speak so clearly to our experience. "God, examine me and know my heart; search me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any bad thing in me.' As I said when we began this journey together more than a week ago, this is difficult work. But it is invaluable when we allow God to move within us to do the work of redemption and forgiveness.

I took our home computer last week to be repaired. The technician first did a diagnostic check to look inside the computer to diagnose the problem. Then he called me and identified the problem. I then asked him, based on what he found, to fix the computer, and he did. Evaluation was critical to the process of making that which was broken, usable again.

The Creator God, when welcomed to work within our broken hearts, minds, bodies, and spirits restores and renews. As this work is done, there is this assurance that the Psalmist claims..."Lead me, Lord, on the road to everlasting life." That is our assurance as well.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment