Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lenten Journey Day 30...Psalm 104

I stood in awe as I looked across the south rim of the Grand Canyon this afternoon (Wednesday). To see the beauty of what has been done there is to ponder the power and majesty of the Creator. Earlier in the day, I had stood deep within the cavernous concrete walls of Hoover Dam, a wonder of the world created by human hands. Both were breathtaking in scope and craftsmanship.

As we stood looking into the canyon this afternoon, a friend said, "We saw the wonders of human creation this morning, and the wonders of God's creation this afternoon," to which he then concluded, "God wins...God always wins."

The Psalmist speaks in our text today about the wonder of God's creation. He calls to mind the unmatched power and wisdom of the Creator whose works are indeed worthy of praise. He declares, "May the glory of the LORD endure forever; may the LORD rejoice in his works..." The glory of the Lord endures through the handiwork we see in the beauty of creation. The Grand Canyon is evidence of this to the person of faith. In this Lenten season, the cross is evidence as well of the enduring love of God, even for a sinful people. I am reminded of my friends words as I think of what I have seen today, and of what God has done through Jesus Christ..."God wins...God always wins."

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment