Monday, April 4, 2011

Lenten Journey Day 27...John 15:1-5

The significance of connection was not lost on Jesus. Knowing that his time with his disciples was growing short, he sought to empower them to live as fruit-bearers whose life and strength came not from themselves, but from the living God at work within them through the Vine, Jesus Christ. "I am the vine," he said, "you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me, you can do nothing."

The last part of this verse speaks powerfully to you and me. We are often taught, in subtle and not-so-subtle ways in this contemporary world, that it really is all about us...that we really are the center of our universe. Jesus confronts us with a different expectation...he is our source of strength...he is our help...he is our hope. To expect that I can live apart from that connection and honor God is human arrogance at its worst.

As you move about your daily tasks this day, remember these important words..."apart from me, you can do nothing." Then walk as one connected to the source of strength, help, and mercy...the One who abides with you always.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment